Submitted by Kriston Poe to the 2019 Taste of America Challenge
1 jalapeño, seeded, small dice
1 Red Bell Pepper-seeded, small dice
½ C. of Challenge Unsalted Butter (1 stick)
3 T. of All-Purpose Flour
2 C. Heavy Cream
3 C. Half-and-Half
2 t. of Kosher Salt
1 t. of White Pepper
1 C. Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 C. Shredded Chipotle Gouda
1 lb. Wampler’s Sausage
2 T. Vegetable Oil
2 t. Bolner’s Fiesta Extra Fancy Light Chili Powder Seasoning
2 C. of Panko Bread Crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350* F. In a large pot, bring 1 gallon of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Drain pasta and run under cool water. Pasta should be slightly firm. Toss in 1 T. of vegetable oil and reserve for later.
3. In a skillet add ground sausage and cook thoroughly. Drain any fat and reserve for later.
4. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, red bell peppers and jalapeños. Saute for 5 minutes.
5. Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes (do not brown)
6. Add heavy cream, half and half, kosher salt, white pepper
7. Bring pot to a simmer. Cook until sauce is thick, about 5-6 minutes.
8. Blend in Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Chipotle Gouda Cheese to the sauce and add the cooked pasta and sausage.
9. Pour into a cast iron skillet and reserve.
10. In a saute pan over low-medium heat, add oil and chili powder. Heat for 20-30 seconds, until pan starts to release a little smoke. Remove from stove and stir in panko bread crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the pasta and bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly on top. Cool slightly before serving.
11. I like to garnish with jalapeños, red peppers, cilantro
12. Serve and enjoy!