By today's standards, Wampler's Farm Sausage had a very humble beginning, but Riley Wampler didn't see it that way. Riley wasn't an entrepreneur or a business man; like others in rural east Tennessee, he was a farmer trying his best to provide for his family. In 1937 Riley bought $38 worth of materials and supplies to build a small tin building near the creek for hog slaughter. He then went door to door to sell his fresh pork products.
The operation was shut down during World War II and in 1947 Riley suggested to his son, Ted, that they reopen the slaughter house. Ted had raised nearly $1,100 by picking blackberries and selling fish bait. He agreed to join his dad and they renamed the business Wampler's Wholesale Meats. Ted and his father were soon joined by Harry Wampler, and they began to call on local mom and pop stores that had opened up following the war. In 1981 they changed the company name to Wampler's Farm Sausage.
Today, with the help from the next generation of the family, and under the leadership of Ted Wampler Jr., Wampler's has seen tremendous growth and its products are enjoyed by families all over the southeast. Wampler's now operates out of a modern facility powered entirely by sustainable energy. There have been a lot of changes over the years, but Wampler's Farm Sausage is still being run by the same family from the farm where it all began over 75 years ago.